Hotel Mom and Dad

Saturday, October 3, 2015


I can't sleep.

It's not any zombie or ghost film this time. But rather a reality TV series set in UK. The title of the show is "Hotel Mom and Dad".

A brief summary of this show:
The production crew follows young couples who have been pampered fortunate enough to live in a good house with loving family members who tend to their every need — from cooking to cleaning and shopping. Despite their good fortune, the young couples have expressed their interest in moving out so as to establish their own independence and to satiate their desire for freedom.

The show features 2 new couples every episode, and the couples are given a sum of money that allows them to rent a house of their choice for a week, pay for their daily needs (food, transport, entertainment) and the bills. The only clause is that everything spent — even their individual night out(s) with their friends — has to be kept within the budget.

At the end of the episode, the couple decides whether to continue staying outside or to move back with "Hotel Mom and Dad".

Ok now that the explanation is done, it is time for me to vomit my thoughts.

This show hit me HARD.

I spoke before on my fears of moving out of my house and having to deal with owning a home of my own. I had gists of how it feels like to own a home, like when H's parents go abroad and I am left alone with him for a few days or even a week at times. He goes to work and I make the bed, I put the laundry to wash, I boil water, I water the plants, I pack the house...

If it isn't explicit enough, I shall make it explicit: I was like a housewife and it most definitely felt that way.

Oh and it doesn't stop right there. You know what is the most pain in the ass part about it all? It isn't the cleaning or cooking or washing. It is deciding what to cook for the entire week.


You got to know what you want to cook for that whole week so that when you go grocery shopping, you can grab everything you need. I gave up with the whole "I'll decide when I am at the supermarket" idea because I am usually overwhelmed with choices and forget about all the recipes in my head.

But honestly, the best part of having a home with the one you love the most is when he comes back home.

Once he sends the text "I'm otw home", I stop slouching on the couch and get to work. You know, so that I don't look like a lazy disastrous housewife. LOL


I get to work cooking and preparing so that when he gets back, there is a hot meal waiting and a clean wife smelling of soap and shampoo instead of fish and cooking oil. Well actually, the soap and shampoo part is rare. It is still a challenge to manage my time well enough to squeeze in time for a quick shower and have the food still warm.

I am thankful that he has always been appreciative of the cooking and cleaning thus far, and I honestly hope that the expression of appreciation will continue on for the rest of our lives. It makes doing all of that worth it and less of a chore. I guess, it is a woman thing to harp over all of these nitty gritty cleaning/caring issues huh?

Well another week of being a housewife is coming up soon. I'm kinda excited because I have a menu planned out this time and it is filled with his favourites! I'm either gonna burn his dinner or be the next Masterchef Asia.

Either way, I know that he is gonna say that the food is very nice and he is gonna find his pants tight.

No comments :

Post a Comment